What is a student mentor program?
A student mentor will help you go far while you’re in school. Student mentees gain valuable skills from their mentorships including networking, research and internship opportunities, and special insight from someone with more experience or knowledge in your field.
What should mentor training include?
Comprehensive mentor skills training that helps prepare mentors for success in their new relationship might include the following:
- Active listening. Probably the most important mentoring skill is to listen while withholding judgment.
- Building trust with the mentee.
- Setting goals.
- Encouraging others.
- Giving feedback.
How do I become a student mentor?
Mentoring Tips and Resources
- Set expectations: Support, yet challenge, your mentees.
- Be a positive role model.
- Be genuinely interested in your mentee as an individual.
- Share your experiences and insights.
- Ask questions.
- Act as a sounding board.
- Provide helpful feedback.
- Acknowledge achievements.
How do I set up a mentoring program?
The following steps are far from exhaustive, but they are a good place to start.
- Define the purpose of the scheme.
- Decide on the type of mentoring scheme you will use.
- Speak with potential mentees before proceeding.
- Identify your target groups.
- The logistical needs of a mentoring scheme.
- Running a pilot mentoring scheme.
What makes college student mentoring programs successful?
College students make excellent mentors because they are close enough in age to young people to establish strong relationships, yet mature enough to offer guidance. Campus-based mentoring supports good citizenship. When mentoring programs combine work in the community with training and reflection,…
What is the impact mentoring program?
Better Onboarding for New Employees. Studies have shown that the first 30 days for a new hire is critical to the employee’s tenure with the organization.
What is school based mentoring?
School-based mentoring takes place at the school during school hours. The purpose of the program is to target students at risk of leaving school early or who are socially isolated or failing to achieve their potential.
What is a Peer Mentor Program?
Peer Mentor Program. Peer Mentoring is a new program offered by CTC to assist first-time or first generation college students make a smooth transition to college.