How do I create a certificate chain file with OpenSSL?
To generate a certificate chain and private key using the OpenSSL, complete the following steps:
- On the configuration host, navigate to the directory where the certificate file is required to be placed.
- Create a 2048 bit server private key.
- This step is required only when your server private key is not in PKCS#8 format.
How do I make a chain file?
OpenSSL create certificate chain with Root & Intermediate CA
- Root vs Intermediate Certificate.
- Step 1: Install OpenSSL.
- Step 2: OpenSSL encrypted data with salted password.
- Step 3: Create OpenSSL Root CA directory structure.
- Step 4: Configure openssl.cnf for Root CA Certificate.
- Step 5: Generate Root CA Private Key.
How do I make a self signed certificate chain?
Then, begin by generating a self-signing certificate authority key:
- openssl genrsa -out cadb.key 4096.
- openssl req -x509 -new -nodes -key cadb.key -days 3650 -config db.cfg -out cadb.pem.
- openssl genrsa -out db.key 4096.
- openssl req -new -key db.key -out db.csr -config db.cfg.
How do I create a certificate chain bundle?
Some Apache and Java based applications require the Root & Intermediate certificates to be bundled in a single file. You can create a certificate bundle by opening a plain text editor (notepad, gedit, etc) and pasting in the text of the root certificate and the text of the intermediate certificate.
How to create a certificate chain in OpenSSL?
To complete the chain of trust, create a CA certificate chain to present to the application. To create the CA certificate chain, concatenate the intermediate and root certificates together. We will use this file later to verify certificates signed by the intermediate CA.
How to generate a CA key in OpenSSL?
1 Create a openssl directory and CD in to it. mkdir openssl && cd openssl 2 Generate the CA private key file. openssl genrsa -out ca.key 2048 3 Generate CA x509 certificate file using the CA key. You can define the validity of certificate in days. Here we have mentioned 1825 days.
How does a root CA create a certificate chain?
This creates a certificate chain that begins in the Root CA, through the intermediate and ending in the issued certificate. This establishes a chain of trust that can verify the validity of a certificate.
Why do we need serial file in OpenSSL?
A serial file is used to keep track of the last serial number that was used to issue a certificate. It’s important that no two certificates ever be issued with the same serial number from the same CA. OpenSSL is somewhat quirky about how it handles this file.