What caliber is a 2 pounder?
Ordnance QF 2-pounder
|Ordnance QF 2 pounder|
|Calibre||40 mm (1.575 in)|
|Breech||Semi-automatic vertical sliding-block|
Why is it called 17 pounder?
So great was the rush that they were sent before proper carriages had been developed, and the guns had to be mounted in the carriages of 25-pounder gun-howitzers. These early weapons were known as 17/25-pounders and given the codename Pheasant.
How good is 25-pounder?
The 25-pounder was probably the most outstanding field artillery piece used by British and Commonwealth forces in the Second World War, being durable, easy to operate and versatile.
What caliber is a 17 pounder?
The Sherman Firefly was a tank used by the United Kingdom and some Commonwealth and Allied armoured formations in the Second World War. It was based on the US M4 Sherman, but was fitted with the more powerful 3-inch (76.2 mm) calibre British 17-pounder anti-tank gun as its main weapon.
Where can I find an Australian 2 pounder?
Australian 2 Pounder Anti-tank Gun Carrier. There is an Irish Army QF 2 pdr in the museum in Collins Barracks in Dublin City. Another QF 2 pdr is on display at the Canadian Military Heritage Museum in Brantford Ontario Canada.
What was the QF 2 pounder in World War 2?
For the anti-aircraft “pom-pom” autocannon, see QF 2 pounder naval gun. The Ordnance QF 2-pounder ( QF denoting “quick firing”), or simply “2 pounder gun”, was a 40 mm (1.575 in) British anti-tank and vehicle-mounted gun employed in the Second World War . It was used in the Battle of France and during the North African Campaign.
How did the 2 pounder naval gun get its name?
QF 2-pounder naval gun. The 2-pounder gun, officially designated the QF 2-pounder (QF denoting “quick firing”) and universally known as the pom-pom, was a 40-millimetre (1.6 in) British autocannon, used as an anti-aircraft gun by the Royal Navy. The name came from the sound that the original models make when firing.
What was the 2 pounder anti tank gun made of?
The 2 pdr was originally armed with AP Shell (an armour piercing round with an explosive filler), the design of this round was asked for in September 1934 and provided by January 1936 – these rounds were filled with Lyddite.