How do I fix my WD external hard drive?
Fix WD external hard drive not recognized error
- Go to Setting > Update & security.
- Tab on Recovery > Advanced Startup > Restart now.
- PC will automatically boot into another Startup Settings screen.
- Press F4 to initiate PC reboot into Safe Mode.
- Then check whether the WD external hard disk can be detected or not.
How do I fix my WD Passport external hard drive not recognized?
Reconnect the WD drive via a new USB hub or to a new PC.
- If the WD Passport drive shows up, it is the damaged USB hub that stops WD from showing up.
- If the WD passport is not detected either on your current or the new PC, replace the WD drive with a new one.
Do WD drives fail?
Overall, the company found that Western Digital drives failed on average seven percent of the time, trailed by Seagate at just under four percent. It does, however, look like the time is right to buy Seagate or HGST — depending on which size drive you’re looking for.
How do I check my WD hard drive for errors?
3. Western Digital Hard Disk Error:
- Run the built-in Windows tool CHKDSK to fix logical file system errors and metadata of the file system.
- If the error persists, use a different disk scan program, for example HDDScan, to determine and to repair corrupt files.
Why is my WD external hard drive not recognized?
In most cases, the issue of external hard drive not recognized is caused by mechanical faults. The three common reasons why a hard drive may not be recognized are; • Power and data cable displacements. • Issues relating to drive partition in disk management. • Hard drive status.
What is the problem with my external hard drive?
Malware or virus infection
Why does my computer not recognize external hard drive?
The heavy majority of the time, this is a very simple problem to fix. The most common reason why a computer may not recognize an external hard drive or flash drive is because the external hard drive or flash drive is formatted wrong, or needs updated drivers.
How do you disconnect an external hard drive?
To disconnect your external hard drive from your Mac computer: Simply drag the drive icon to the trash can to safely dismount the hard drive. You may also press the power button on the drive, or unplug the power cable from the wall, if you wish to turn off the external hard drive.